Saturday 1 November 2008

Happy Halloween!

Well, it turns out that the Brits do celebrate Halloween! In fact, in recent years, the British have come to celebrate it more like we do in America.

The kids and I had a great time the past few days making Halloween sugar cookies and carving our pumpkins. (We actually learned from a British friend that they used to carve out turnips, but it was much more difficult. I think I read somewhere that the pumpkins are an American influence.)

Here are the kids pumpkins. Tim and Maddie drew the faces on and I carved them out.For Halloween, Maddie dressed up as Madeline (from the book series). My mom had gotten this costume back when she was a baby, and we have waited this long for it to fit. But, oh it was so cute!Tim decided to go as Batman. Actually, I kind of decided it for him when I found a Batman costume at the thrift shop for $3.50. I was so psyched that it fit him. And of course, I couldn't resist but dress Collin up as Robin. I had to buy his costume on Amazon (and yes, it was a little more expensive than $3.50, but so worth it!!!)My caped crusaders!

The kids and I headed to base yesterday afternoon, as the base was sponsoring a Halloween party for the kids. They had games, face painting, etc. You could even go trick-or-treating around the housing area of base. However, we decided to go trick-or-treating around our own village. A family that we know from the kids' school invited us to go with them, as they knew the right houses to go to.

We all had a great time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Halloween pics! Believe it or not, Noah's school observed Halloween (on the 30th as the 31st was Friday and schools are closed on Fridays)with decorations and costumes. Noah was Spiderman for the 3rd year in a row! He was fairly disappointed when he found out there was no actual trick-or-treating.

Interestingly our British friends were a little put off by the whole thing wondering why of all cultural holidays that this private Christian school in the Middle East had to choose Halloween. But, I found it refreshing that it was just a - let's let the kids have fun dressing up kind of atmosphere rather than the emotionally/"spiritually" charged debates that sometimes arise in the States in Christian circles.

Anyways - thanks for the pics. The kids are adorable! Now the big question is what are the plans for Thanksgiving?

Brian

Anonymous said...

So fun! Pictures are cute!

Moi said...

So CUTE!! I'm so happy you're new one is so healthy. He's so alert!

We love your quilt--Isaac uses it for tummy time all the time.

Please confirm your address so I can send happy Collin presents and GIVE EVERYONE A HUG for me! xoxox