Thursday 1 January 2009

Happy 2009!

I made it! I didn't think I would be able to last until midnight last night as I haven't been feeling well, but I did.

Ethan and I had a very quiet New Years. (His parents and brother just left yesterday morning, so we knew we couldn't plan to do much.) Ethan made a delicious crab dip that we enjoyed as we watched the British version of a New Years countdown. It wasn't a "New Years Rockin' Eve" with Dick Clark, but it was still cool to watch.

The countdown was live from the HMS Belfast which is located in the Thames River in London. They interviewed Olympic gold medalists, and had some live music including a performance by Simply Red. Yes, Simply Red... as from the 80s. No offense, but the music was pretty bad, and the singer looked like was in his 80s. Dick Clark certainly gets better music performers.

Things improved at midnight. They showed Big Ben clanging, and then shot fireworks off of the London Eye (the London Eye is a huge ferris wheel just across the river from Big Ben). The fireworks were really impressive.

Ethan commented that 2008 was the shortest year of our life... literally. Since we celebrated last New Years in America and this year's in England, 2008 was exactly 5 hours shorter than any other we've celebrated. All I know is 2008 was one of the most exciting and adventurous years of our lives.

3 comments:

oylenshpeegul said...

Not exactly five hours; they added an extra second onto 2008!

http://www.timeanddate.com/time/leapseconds.html

krista said...

It was so sweet of you to call the other night! Hope you're feeling better.

I hope to Skype with you soon!

Amanda said...

of course your year was quicker, literally, but having three kids makes time fly by much faster, am I right?!? This year was one of the best, and one of the worst in different ways...but more best which is always good! :) Miss you my friend...